Sony Xperia S is the first smartphone from the new Xperia™ NXT series- the next generation smartphones from Sony.
Xperia S is an android smartphone with a 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 MSM8260 dual core processor, 1GB RAM, a 12MP rear camera and a 1.3MP front camera for video calling. It has a 4.3-inch 720×1280 resolution Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine and will be initially running on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. The 12MP rear camera will shoot 1080p HD videos and the front camera at 720p HD. It’s also equipped with the Sony Exmor R sensor to enhance low light snaps. Xperia S has an NFC chip and hence it can access the growing range of NFC applications and services. Also, the phone is PlayStation™ certified. Connectivity options include bluetooth, WIFI, HDMI, DLNA and Bravia Sync.
Xperia S features:
- 4.3 inch Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine with HD resolution screen (1280 x 720), as well as front (720p) and back (1080p) cameras for HD recording.
- 1.5GHz dual-core processor for fast browsing and content download, which can be stored on the internal 32GB flash storage.
- 12MP back camera with Sony Exmor R™ for mobile along with Fastest Capture to take shots in just 1.5 seconds directly from standby mode. Front-facing camera with 1.3 MP.
- NFC (Near Field Communications) enabled to access growing range of NFC applications and services as well as Xperia SmartTags.
- With HD sharing through DLNA, HDMI and using BRAVIA Sync for controlling your Xperia S with your TV remote control when connected to the TV, Xperia™ S delivers a full HD experience on TV.
- PlayStation™ Certified, that guarantees a high quality smartphone gaming experience and access to the PlayStation® Store.
Xperia S will be available globally from the first quarter 2012 and will be available in 2 colors; black and white. Android 4.0 is promised and will reach the phones in the second quarter of the year.
From the Sony Ericsson blog post:
“Xperia™ S is the first smartphone that showcases a new design approach referred as “Iconic Identity”. You will be able to see this new design throughout the Xperia™ NXT series, and it creates a simple look that is instantly recognizable. One of the main elements of the new design is the transparent element at the base of the phone. It creates an iconic silhouette, emphasizing the display, and also provides illumination effects and integrates the antenna components.
And for the Xperia™ NXT series, the user Interface has been redesigned to match the minimalistic design of the hardware. The home screen has a new colorful flow background making full usage of HD Reality Display and dual-core processing power.”